The way that images are handled has changed. This article reflects the latest changes, deployed on 23 August 2022.
Upload an image to the image library and you will be able to easily use it multiple times in various locations across the site. You can have up to 20 images in the image library. All images should be .jpg or .png.
At the moment, you have the option to select from the image library when you:
In the future, we hope to develop this feature so that you can also select from the image library when you:
- Illustrate your news articles - feature images
- Illustrate your pages – cover images
How to upload to your image library
- From the editor menu, click on Manage images
- To upload an image, click on upload, beneath add an image.
- On the next screen, click on upload and choose a photo to upload from your device.
- Add a caption in the caption box to describe the image for those who use screen readers.
- There is a checkbox next to the words ‘homepage image’. Click to check or uncheck the box. This controls whether the image will appear on your homepage gallery or not.
- Click save to upload the file.
How to edit or delete an image
- From the editor menu, click on manage your gallery.
- To edit an image, click the small white pencil on the image (top right of the image).
- To delete an image, click the small white bin icon on the image you want to delete (top right of the image). Then click yes, I’m sure to confirm deletion.
GDPR and safeguarding
Before uploading an image, make sure you have permission to do so.
If you upload a photo that you do not own you may breach copyright regulations and could be fined by the owner.
When uploading a photo that you have taken of people from your community, make sure the subjects have given their consent. This is to follow UK GDPR laws and for safeguarding.
About image sizes
If you find the image library feature helpful and expect to use it a lot, we recommend you upload all your images as standard rectangular, 4:3 aspect ratio, minimum of 1024px x 768px. Ideally, make sure the 'action' of the image is roughly in the centre of the image.
That will allow you most flexibility in being able to use the images anywhere in your site without resizing issues. The whole image will be visible in most locations.
- For your services and events the image will be cropped in slightly, which usually works well if you are using images that have most of the action in the centre of the image.
- When using this size as a cover image, the system will crop it to a horizontal slice that is the central third of the image, which usually works well if you are using images that have most of the action in the centre of the image.
If it is important to you that the whole of your image is visible in all circumstances, we do not recommend using the image library. Size each image individually for its intended location instead.