Each church can have up to five people in an editor role. This includes one Administrator.
The Administrator is the only one who can approve others’ requests for access. The Administrator role can only be given to the vicar who leads the church (the incumbent).
This help article is only applicable to vicars who are the incumbent.
- If you are not the vicar who leads the church you are trying to access, please follow our guide to becoming an editor.
- Find out more about the different editor roles on ACNY.
How to become an Administrator
Step one: Register
If you already have an account on ACNY, go straight to step two.
- Go to A Church Near You and click on the editor login button in the top menu.
- Where it says: Don’t have an account? Click on the link to register a new account.
- Fill in the form using the email address listed for you on Crockford’s Clerical Directory.
- Click register to create a new account.
- An email will be sent to you containing a link. Click the link to confirm you own the email address.
You must register using the email address that is listed for you on Crockford, and your Crockford profile must be public.
- If you cannot remember your email address associated with Crockford or no longer have access, please Register using your current email and then contact the editor help centre.
- If your Crockford profile is not public, please Register and then contact the editor help centre.
Step two: Request to edit the church
- Go to A Church Near You
- Click editor login found in the top menu
- Enter your account details created in step one and click login
- Click Churches and Benefices on the top menu
- Search for the church in the Postcode or place box
- Click on the name of the church and then visit page
- Click edit this church in the public menu
- From here, your account should be automatically approved as the Administrator
If your details have been automatically recognised by Crockford, you will receive automatic approval and can now edit the church.
If your details have not been automatically recognised by Crockford, you will see a form.
- Write a message in the message box and click request access
- Contact the editor help centre with your name and the full name of the church you wish to edit.
Once approved, the church will be listed under churches and benefices. This is visible in the top menu whenever you are logged in.
Troubleshooting for Administrators
- I am the Incumbent (lead vicar) and I have not been automatically approved to edit the church
- Approving an editor request to edit a church
- I’ve forgotten my password
- I want to remove an editor’s access to our page
- How the automatic approval works for incumbents
We regularly run A Church Near You webinars, they’re a quick and popular way to learn how to edit your church’s pages.