Approve or decline a request to edit
If you are the vicar who leads the church, you have an AChurchNearYou account, and are an editor with administrator status for the church in question, then simply:
- Log into your AChurchNearYou.com account
- Click My Churches
- Click on the name of the appropriate church
- Click Manage Editors
- Click Pending
- You'll see Pending written next to the name of each request. Click Pending and select the status you'd like to assign the requester.
- Publishers can edit the church (photos, information, services, etc).
- Editors can edit the church, and can read/respond to messages in the Inbox.
- Administrators can edit the church, can read/respond to messages in the Inbox, and can Manage (approve/decline/remove) Editors and Publishers.
- Click the tick next to the request you wish to approve (or the X next to any requests you wish to decline) Click UPDATE
- That editor request will now have been approved (or declined if you clicked the X)
If you have an account but can't login, please follow the processes here: https://achurchnearyou.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002440533-Forgotten-Passwords-or-Unable-to-Login
If you don't yet have an account, please follow the Steps here: https://achurchnearyou.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002398413 to create an account and request to edit your churches. So long you fulfil the automatic approval criteria (see scenario 1 in this article: https://achurchnearyou.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002398413#approval) you will be automatically approved and you will also be automatically be given administrator status for the churches you've requested to edit which you lead.
If you are the vicar who leads the church and you are able to log in to AChurchNearYou.com, but are either unable to edit your church, or are able to edit but are unable to approve requests to edit, please contact the Editor Support Team and we'll work with you to ensure you have the necessary access as quickly as possible. To speed up the process, please provide the information listed in scenario 4 of this article: https://achurchnearyou.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002398413#approval
What happens if I am the vicar who leads the church, have an account, can edit the church, but I am unable to approve/decline a request to edit and/or cannot remove an editor
Often this is because you are an editor and don't have administrator status.
First thing to do is to check that the email address you're using for your AChurchNearYou.com and the email address on your entry in Crockford match. You can find out how to do this here: https://achurchnearyou.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002336113-I-need-to-update-my-contact-details You do NOT need a subscription to Crockford to check or update your own entry.
Once they're matching, please contact the Support Team and ask us to take a look at the situation and perform a status change. Please make sure you tell us that you've already checked that your email addresses match. We can then check your AChurchNearYou.com account and Crockford entry and, all being well, update your status to administrator.
Please ensure that you include the following information in your message:
- The reason for your request (ie because you're currently unable to approve/decline requests and/or cannot remove editors/publishers)
- Your role within the church (confirm that you are the vicar who leads the church)
- Your email address (the one with which you registered for your AChurchNearYou account)
- Let us know that your email addresses match on your entry in Crockford and on your AChurchNearYou.com account
- If you'd rather not provide an email address for your entry in Crockford, please provide us with your permission for us to disclose your name, contact details, and request to your Area/Rural Dean, Archdeacon, and/or Diocesan staff in order to gain approval. We will usually CC them into the thread.
- The AChurchNearYou URL* of the church(es) for which you require administrator status.
*You'll find this URL by going to the AChurchNearYou church page in question and looking in the browser address bar where you'll see: https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/ followed by up to six numbers, those numbers are the unique to your church.
For instance the URL for St Alkmund's in Duffield is: https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/13370/
Editor request approval emails
When someone requests to become an editor of a church an email is sent to the vicar who leads that church (based on the appropriate entry in Crockford), whether or not that vicar has an AChurchNearYou account.
The email the vicar receives contains a link which the vicar can click to be taken to the Pending requests page of Manage Editors tab for their church. If the vicar doesn't have an AChurchNearYou account and/or aren't yet an approved administrator of the church they will need register and/or request to become the approved administrator for that church.
The editor approval request email is not required in order to approve an editor request. If you didn't receive the email, you can still approve/decline a request to edit. Simply follow the process in the section above called 'Approve or decline a request to edit'
Who can approve a request to edit
Only someone with administrator status for a church can approve or decline requests to edit for that church, and remove editors from that church.
Only the vicar who leads the church can be the administrator.
The vicar who leads the church will need an AChurchNearYou.com account and be an approved editor (with administrator status) in order to approve (or decline) editor requests. Click here to find out how to become an approved editor.
So long as the vicar fulfils the automatic approval criteria (see scenario 1 in this article: https://achurchnearyou.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002398413#approval) they will be automatically approved and they will also be automatically be given administrator status.
If you are the vicar who leads the church, you are able to log in to AChurchNearYou.com but are either unable to edit your church, or are able to edit but are unable to approve requests to edit, please contact the Editor Support Team and we'll work with you to ensure you have the necessary access as quickly as possible. To speed up the process, please provide the information listed in scenario 4 of this article: https://achurchnearyou.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002398413#approval
What if the church is in vacancy, or approval by the vicar who leads the church isn't possible
In this article: https://achurchnearyou.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002398413#approval you'll find four scenarios into which the process for approval for a request to edit might fall. If your church is in vacancy then scenario 3 is likely to be the best match, if there is another reason that your request isn't