The developers are currently working on improving some functionality and adding new functionality.
Here's what we can tell you so far:
The text assigned to an image on the Gallery will become editable after a photo is uploaded
Editors will be able to change the order in which images appear on the Gallery
Items on the Phase One, and the September 2018 Phase Two roadmap are now live, but remain below for archive purposes.
Over the next few months, we’re looking forward to launching new features for our editors and millions of visitors to enjoy. This is all based on your feedback from our recent survey.
We’ve tracked our plans here so that you know what to look out for – and when.
What's currently available (aka Phase One):
- A mobile-first site
- A page with the look and feel of a modern-website
- Increased personalisation tools – you can now add your logo, a cover picture and a welcome message
- Ability to add up to 10 pages, which could be for more information on your children's activities, outreach projects, church history etc.
- Control has been returned to the churches
- A simpler editing experience
- A safe and secure site that sits behind three layers of protection.
- Users can now find not only the closest church to them, but the church closest to them offering the service or event that they’re looking for – thanks to the tags.
- Church of England schools will be listed on AChurchNearYou. You will be able to search for your nearest Church of England school and read the SIAMS report
- For launch, we will just be using the static information about a school, but there’s the ability for schools to use this to personalise their page in the future if there’s demand for this
- This is a good tool for awareness – showing users how many schools the Church of England runs.
- Churches will be able to use AChurchNearYou as their website – pointing their domain name towards their AChurchNearYou page.
- Step-by-step instructions will guide editors through the process of redirecting their domain name to their AChurchNearYou page.
- This will save many churches around £500 per year as AChurchNearYou is free.
- This allows churches to have a mobile first, modern website that sits behind three layers of protection, meaning it will still appear in search results after the Chrome update in October.
NEWS STORIES AND NOTICE SHEETS
- Churches will now be able to add short news stories about upcoming events and services
and notice sheets.
- News pages can have documents attached and an image at the top of the story. These pages can also be tagged, so will be easy to find for users.
- The 10-most recent stories and news sheets will appear, with older posts being saved should editors need to refer to this at a later date.
- Expired services and events will also be saved here.
CAMPAIGN TOOLS AND HOMEPAGE EDITING
- Churches will be able to opt in to receive national campaign branding on their AChurchNearYou page. For example, at Christmas, by just ticking a box a church could receive a Christmas skin on their profile with the logo, images and an events box appearing on the homepage, taking users straight to their Christmas events and services.
- Editors will also be able to chose one event and one news story to appear on their homepage, making each church’s page unique and giving greater control to the look and feel of the site.
- For the first time, AChurchNearYou will show editors the page’s analytic information, including the views for this week, month and year.
- This is useful for planning what to post on your page and explaining trends in your church – if you have a particular busy Christmas, could it be due to an increased number of hits on your ACNY of users looking for events and services?
- This has been a popularly requested feature, and we’re thrilled that so many churches are thinking so strategically about this resource.
- We know many editors will be thrilled to hear that the gallery feature is back. Churches will now be able to add up to 20 images.
- These can have a caption and show the life of your church – from special services to church away weekends.
- We’re setting a limit on the number that can be uploaded to encourage churches to keep these up-to-date and fresh.
- July 18 – development begins. The agency will start building this increased functionality during a two-week sprint.
- August 18 – our focus group of churches will begin testing. We have a group of churches that have volunteered to test the new website functionality. Feedback from our focus group will then be implemented for launch.
- September 18 – launch phase two of AChurchNearYou. Editors will be the first to hear about this exciting development in the regular emails we sent out.
ONE MORE THING...
- By the end of July, AChurchNearYou editors will have access to the new AChurchNearYou Resource Hub.
- This provides a central hub for high quality imagery and video resources for use on your AChurchNearYou page, website, print campaigns and church TVs.
- More content to follow, including the Christmas 2018 campaign!